Jun 10, 2018

Destination Denali: "You're off to great places, today is your day! Your mountain is waiting so get on your way!"

You're off to great places,
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting, 
So... get on your way..!
-Dr. Seuss, Oh the Places You'll Go

A few final thoughts as I drag a heavy bag out the door and onto Anchorage, Alaska and then 90 miles north to the town of Talkeetna and the flanks of Denali! I've put project management skills into overdrive and my bags are parked at the front door waiting to whisked away on this adventure..! 
There are plenty of emotions going around in my head ranging from – “OMG what did I get myself into?” to the adrenaline rush you get when you stand on the cusp of the unknown and prepare to leap... 

Soon this journey will 'formally' begin... and I can't wait..! 
The biggest challenge on this expedition has been making the decision to ‘go for it’. Stepping out of your comfort zone, finding your purpose, and following it through – this is often more daunting than the mountains we find ourselves on. But the glory is in the journey – the lessons learned and the people you meet along the way - and the place that we leave in the world as a result. 
Climbing a mountain like Denali is no different to many of the challenges we aim to overcome in our lives. Whether starting a new job, mending a broken relationship, fighting an illness or stepping outside of our comfort zones, we’re all climbing mountains of sorts. These experiences require us to be stronger than we think we are, endure more than we think we can, and become more than we dreamed possible. 

It’s always my hope when setting out on these slightly mad adventures that I can make a small difference in the world. And I have all of YOU to thank for helping me to do this..!


Before leaving a few "Thank You's"…

A huge thank you to my friends:

Thank you to my friends - for your kindness and patience. You're the best and I really, really can't wait to have a very large margarita with you all on a very sunny, hot patio this summer.

Thank you to the Reaching New Heights for Women's Health expedition Partners:

A huge thank you to Women's College Hospital Foundation and Wellbeing of Women: 

Thank you Shannon and the entire team at Women's College Hospital Foundation. We spent a lot of time talking about the importance of 'purpose' earlier this year - which has been incredibly helpful in my journey to 'settling' here in Toronto. Learning about the research and ambulatory care provided through the hospital has been eye-opening and I can't wait to continue working with you and your team to provide continued research into the health and wellbeing of women.
Thank you Asha and the entire team at Wellbeing of Women. We've been on these crazy adventures for a while now and I am so grateful for your continued motivation...! 

A huge thank you to my family:

Thank you to my family - for the spirit of adventure that I'm certain I inherited from you.... although there is some disagreement about which side of the family it actually comes from..! I know how much you worry about me but, in the same breath, totally stand behind and support everything that I do. And for that I’ll be forever grateful.

A tremendous thank you to YOU!

A final thank you to everyone who has kindly and generously donated to Women’s College Hospital and Wellbeing of Women. On behalf of the charities, Thank You.

If you haven't donated but wish to support these charities it's not too late..! The links are below: 

Next stop - Denali!

“So be sure when you step, Step with care and great tact. And remember that life's A Great Balancing Act. And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed) Kid, you'll move mountains.” 
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You'll Go!

** I will not have access to communications whilst on the mountain so all updates from 11 June will be provided via: http://www.alaskamountaineeringschool.blogspot.com **
The team name is “10 June Expedition with Wes” 

Please wish us luck and see you in July!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment